Friday, April 26, 2013

The Two Wheelers Don't Stop

So I fell off the wagon again.  That every part of the every day was really working against me.  Despite learning tons and tons of super interesting stuff about things like psychic moments, Book TV, and the Vitamin Vault in the past few months, I couldn't quite get over the idea that I had once again dropped the "every" ball.  Until today, when I decided that nearly everyday was a goal I could live with.  And now that I've gotten that out of the way it is time to get back to learning!

Today is a bit of a summary from the past few days.  I'm in Amsterdam on a business trip.  I have never been to Amsterdam before and though I've had very little time to explore I can already tell that I'll be back.  It is a beautiful city with great architecture lining a series of beautiful canals.  We took a boat ride when I first arrived where I noticed that many of the houses have a giant hook attached to a large beam that jutts out from the top of the building.  I quickly learned that those hooks were originally put there hundreds of years ago so that residents could hoist their belongings up above rising water in the event of what apparently were frequent floods.  After the past two weeks I think some houses along the Des Plaines river back home should look into this technique!


I also learned that the bicycle reigns supreme here in Amsterdam.  Bicycles are a preferred mode of transportation.  All over the city there are dedicated bike lanes for two wheel afficianados.  I was told that there are approximately 1.5 bicycles per person in the city.  And let me tell you there are strength in numbers.  I have been told countless times to watch out for the bicycles.  Cab drivers, the hotel staff, friendly locals are constantly preaching this mantra of safety.  Believe me, it's good advice since cyclists don't stop.  They may ring their bell and yell at you, but they stop only for red lights...sometimes.  You definitely have to be on your toes walking around the city!


And speaking of reign, tomorrow I'll fill you in on the upcoming Queen's Day which I learned about from my cab driver this morning.  Until tomorrow...or sometime close to tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment