Thursday, July 19, 2012

Unlucky Number 4

First of all, I must note that since I have yet to go to bed, it is still technically Thursday, so I'm counting this as my post for July 19th.  Phrew, now that I've gotten that out of the way I can get down to business.

I was in the elevator in the hotel that I'm staying at here in Miami when I noticed that there was neither a 4th or a 13th floor.  Most hotels don't have a 13th floor since many people equate the number 13 with bad luck, but what happened to the 4th floor?

Luckily one of the hotel employees was in the elevator with me and I asked him. He told me that in Chinese culture the number 4 is considered bad luck.  Since the hotel is part of a chain from Asia they skipped both 13 and 4.

I was curious as to why the number 4 was considered unlucky so I did a little research.  In the Chinese language there are a large number of homophones, words that sound remarkably similar but have different meanings.  The number 4 is a homophone, sounding like the word for death.  Therefore, the link to death makes the number 4 unlucky.

And being very customer focused, this hotel is accomodating superstitious guests from multiple cultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment