Monday, October 8, 2012

19 and Climbing - Go Cats! (10/6/12)

I'm not usually a terribly competitive person.  With a few notable exceptions, I am all about doing your best and getting credit for trying.   One of those exceptions, however, is when the competition involves my alma mater, Northwestern University.  I am a Wildcat through and through, and am pretty confident that I went to the finest university in the whole wide world.

Well, yesterday I learned that, as of 2012, I went to the 19th finest university in the whole wide world.  Northwestern University was ranked #19 of the top 100 universities internationally according to the Times Higher Education.  Northwestern climbed seven spots from its #26 ranking in 2011.

19th in the world isn't that bad, considering that there are thousands of universities across the globe.  But as any NU alum knows, we really should be #1.  We have the right mix of smarts and cool.  We have produces some amazing graduates that have gone on to represent NU proudly, including , but not limited to, Stephen Colbert, Matt Grevers, Luck Donald, Clinton Kelly, Gary Marshall, Seth Meyers, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Rahm Emanuel, John Paul Stevens, Brent Musburger, and of course Pat Fitzgerald.  This is just a smattering of our genius alumni.  Fitz and Colbert alone should get us into the top 10. 

I wondered what was holding us back.  It seems that a significant part of the ranking is based on the reputation scores given by members of other universities.  In reputation we rank just 35th.  Maybe I'm biased, but that ranking stinks a little of jealousy.  I'm kidding.  I do look forward to seeing Northwestern climb even higher next year.  Before long we'll be sitting on top of the world, where we should be, shining our purple light over the land.

Go Cats!

No comments:

Post a Comment