Monday, October 8, 2012

Bat Groening Haunts On

Yesterday I went over to my parents' house for Sunday dinner.  After dinner we headed to the family room to watch the second half of the Bears game where Chicago routed Jacksonville 41-3 (taking a little of the sting out of my other team's weekend loss).  Throughout the Bears game, which was airing on Fox, they had ads for the annual Simpson's Halloween special.

My parents are super cool.  Not in that I'm-trying-way-to-hard-to-be-friends-with-my-kids way, but in a naturally cool cool way.  Because they both have great senses of humor, they like the Simpsons (though I'm sure my Dad would say, "in small doses.").  The Halloween special is usually a treat since Matt "Bat" Groening and his team usually reference literature (the Raven and the Tell-Tale Heart were both genius inspirations), classic monsters (Dracula and Frankenstein), and some of the scariest movies of all time (The Shining, Nightmare on Elm Street).  We were all looking forward to comedy gold as the opening credits rolled.

It was at this point that I learned that this year is the 23rd year of Treehouse of Horrors episodes.  I already knew that the Simpsons is the longest continuous scripted television show in history, but I did not realize that there had been 22 previous Halloween episodes.

Maybe my expectations were too high, maybe it would have been funnier if I had seen Paranormal Activity, but this wasn't the greatest Treehouse episode ever.  I did laugh, the James Bond references as Bart went back in time ala "Back to the Future" did make me giggle.  I also loved that the black hole wouldn't eat Bart's homework.  Overall, however, it left me a little disappointed.  It also made me want to watch the The Raven from the very first Treehouse of Terror episode.  It's so great, I'll share it here.  But before I do, I should mention one more thing I learned yesterday.  Homer having a threesome with two demons is a little uncomfortable to watch with your parents.

Cinnamon!

Simpson's The Raven

No comments:

Post a Comment