Monday, September 3, 2012

A Delay of Hurricane Proportions (8/28/12)

Tropical Storm Isaac is bearing down on the Gulf Coast, gaining speed in its quest to become a hurricane.  Yesterday I learned the vast impact the weather can have on the entire country.  

Because I haven't been gone enough of late (yes, that is the return of my sarcasm), I thought another trip was in order - this one for work. I headed to the airport to fly to Albuquerque for a few days.  I didn't really pay too much attention to the storms since I was going to New Mexico by way of Dallas, both locales far afield from the crazy weather.

My flight to Dallas was delayed just enough to cause me to miss my connection to Albuquerque.  I wasn't too worried because there was another fairly open fight just two hours later.  What I didn't expect was how difficult it would be for American Airlines to find a plane to take us there.  It turns out that many of the planes needed to ferry passengers from one city to the next were stuck in Gulf Coast cities, grounded due to the storm.

Alternate routes and contingency plans were made behind the scenes to find available planes and get them to the cities where passengers were waiting.  It took about two extra hours, but they were able to get us on our way to New Mexico.

It was a logistical challenge to be sure, all because of a storm on the other side of the country.  Just like that butterfly flapping its wings in Africa...

No comments:

Post a Comment