Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Peeled and Tasty (9/4/12)

Yesterday I learned that kale and beets and ginger and apples and lemons all juiced together are surprisingly good!  A friend of mine was in town from Ohio, and before she hit the road she took me over to Peeled, a juice bar that just opened in Evanston.  I am usually a coffee/Coke Zero kind of morning person, so I wasn't sure that juice was going to do it for me, but I was willing to give it a try. 

We walked and and the first thing I learned is that everything there is vegan, including the gelato.  I also learned that most of the questions that I had were not going to be answered by the two young women working there, and I stopped asking technical questions.  

Most of the drinks are blends of different fruits and vegetables.  Kale is a big player as are apples and nut milks.  You can also add in various supplements including hemp powder for protein and tocos, which apparently is vitamin A.

I skipped the supplements and went with the fruit and veggie mix called Focus'd.  The woman took easily two bushels of fruits and veggies, cut them up and stuffed them into this big silver machine that looked the the centrifuge that I used to use when I worked in a lab.  All of this effort yielded 16 ounces of bright pink juice that, once I got up enough nerve to try it, was delicious!

I am looking forward to trying all of the other brands.  It my not be a substitute for caffeine (I went home after and took a nap, actually) but Peeled Juices are darn tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment