Thursday, September 6, 2012

Slap a Logo on It

Yesterday I was very uncharacteristically early to meet a friend for drinks.  While I was waiting I because momentarily disorientated because the New York Giants were playing the Dallas Cowboys on TV.  Did I  miss a day?  Was Wednesday cancelled this week and Thursday had to step up?  Was it Monday and I had two extra days ahead of me?  No, I was sure it was Wednesday, so why was I watching football?

As if in my head hearing my question, Chirs Collinsworth supplied me with the answer:  the Thursday night season opener had been rescheduled so as not to conflict with President Obama's speech at the DNC slated for tonight.  Chris then went on to tell me that this was the first Wednesday night game in 64 years.  The last was played by the Los Angeles Rams who beat the Detroit Lions 44-7 on September 22, 1948.

I have to admit that I couldn't quite remember the score so I went to look it up, and that's when I learned something really interesting.  According to www.sportsecyclopedia.com the 1948 season saw the introduction of the horns on the Rams' helmets.  They were designed by Frank Gehrke, a halfback who worked as a graphic designer in the off season.  Gehrke's design made the Rams the first team to have their logo on their helmet.  That iconic design has survived 64 years and relocation to St. Louis. 

Frank Gehrke, you were certainly a trendsetter!

No comments:

Post a Comment