Sunday, September 23, 2012

"It's Pretty Good" (9/17/12)

Yesterday I had to stop at Walgreens to pick up a few things.  Walgreens has just rolled out a new rewards program, which I did not know until I saw the signs all over the store.  I'm a pretty frequent Walgreens customer so this seemed like a great idea to me, so as I approached the the check out counter I was expecting to be assaulted with a full sales pitch.  Despite being surrounded by ads, including clings on the counter, an electronic ad on the credit card machine, and a button on the cashier's shirt, he did not mention it at all.  Well, not at all until I was almost done with my transaction, at which point he said, "yeah, so it's pretty good."

Hmm...it's pretty good?  I looked quizzically at the cashier who then said, "you should really, you know, sign up or you won't get the sales in a few weeks."

That's the sales pitch?!?  It's pretty good AND sign up or you won't get sales?!?  Yes, folks, what I learned yesterday is that Walgreens needs to invest some dollars in training their cashiers in pitching their programs.  

No comments:

Post a Comment