Saturday, September 8, 2012

I'm Here to See a Website About a Horse

Yesterday I was driving to work when I heard an odd story on the news:  The United States Marshall Service would be auctioning 93 of the over 400 horses that Rita Crundwell, the former city comptroller of Dixon, IL once owned.  The US Marshall Service is auctioning off the horses because Crundwell is accused of stealing over $53 Million from the city of Dixon in her 22 years as comptroller.

Now, I am from Chicago so news about a corrupt politician is not really news since it happens so often.  What I thought was so interested was that they were auctioning the horses (well, at least some of them) online.  I've seen a lot of online auctions, from eBay to charity fundraisers.  I've even participated in a few (unsuccessfully) but most of those have been for pretty reliable items - concert tickets, cooking classes, autographed memorabilia, and the like.   I have never seen horses in any of the auctions, so I was curious as to how this works.

I went to the auction website http://professionalauction.com and found the auctions listed under "U.S. District Court-ordered Dispersal of horses in United States of America v. Rita A. Crundwell."  There you will find two different auctions and online catalogs listing all of the horses.  The opening bid is $400, which seems pretty reasonable for a horse, but some of the bids are already up to $36,000.  

$36,000 for a horse you've never seen in person?!? I guess it goes to show you that you really can buy anything online!

No comments:

Post a Comment